Friday, April 23, 2010

April 22, 2010

This is the 16th night of our 3055 mile voyage from The Galapagos Islands to Marquesas in French Polynesia. We are
225 miles away from landfall and I am on watch. Stuart went down at 8p and I finished washing up the dishes and came up top
to check for ships and the radar went off. Since we haven't seen but 2 ships the entire trip; I am thinking must be a storm.
Sure enough 2 miles away there is a front and we are getting the benefit of her winds. All day long we have been slopping around
at 6 kts. in 12' swells. Because of this we poled out the jib at 3pm to catch as much of the wind as we could. Now with the
storm we are getting 22kt winds and surfing down the waves at 9 to 9 1/2 kts. What a thrilling ride!!! The moon is out and Imagine
is awash in light and loving this point of sail. I wish everyone I know who loves to sail was with me now on this one. I am grinning from
cheek to cheek while I listen to my favorite CD, Mama Mia as loud as she will play so I can hear it over the roar of the waves crashing
around the boat. A flying fish flew into the cockpit and I retrieved him and threw him back into the sea. Things are quieting down
outside, I must go and check. The storm is passing we are back to 7kts and the ride is quieting down. But, what a ride while she
lasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment